Spikenard, a flowering plant of the Valerian family, is native to high altitudes in the sub-alpine and alpine regions of the Himalayan mountains. Spikenard essential oil is steam distilled from the roots of the plant and has been valued for centuries, traditionally used to anoint people of high honour and in the Ayurvedic health practices of India. Historically, Spikenard was used to uplift mood and promote relaxation. Spikenard promotes clean, healthy skin. Today, the oil is commonly used in perfumes and relaxing massage oils for its woody, musty scent.
By sourcing Spikenard oil from Nepal, doTERRA is able to support much-needed income streams for harvesters and partner distillers, particularly in the remote areas where it is harvested, as well as support needed rural community development projects through our Co-Impact Sourcing® initiatives.
- Diffuse or apply one to two drops to back of the neck or to temples to promote a feeling of calmness and relaxation.
- Create a personalised fragrance by combining Spikenard with Clove, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium, Juniper Berry, Lavender, Myrrh, Wild Orange, Rose, and Vetiver.
- Combine with a hydrating cream for softer and smoother feeling skin.
- Add one to two drops to your favourite cleanser or anti-ageing product to promote healthy-looking, glowing skin.
- Promotes feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Frequently used in aromatherapy and meditation for its grounding properties.